Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Not Just Banana Bread

Who doesn't love banana bread? Well, if you're one of the millionth of a percentile who doesn't, you can stop reading and go back to your sad life. For the rest of us, let's get back to discussing a truly lovely thing: banana bread. From what I've learned from my family, there are only two kinds of banana bread: with nuts and without. I'm here to open up some new possibilities in both realms. 
I started off by calling my sister-in-law, Emily, for her recipe for basic banana bread. I'd seen her two and four year olds devour hers day after day until it was gone and sampled it myself. 
Then, I added my need to funk things up by figuring out what I could use instead of boring old lemon juice.
Lastly, I took the batter from its' traditional large loaf pan to mini loaf pans because they're just so cute! Now, who's ready for a delectable treat?

Banana Bread

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup banana, mashed
  • 1/4-1/2 cup grapefruit, diced (or 1 tsp lemon juice)
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1/4-2/3 cup pecans, chopped (optional)


Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 350. Grease one regular loaf pan or 7-8 mini loaf pans and dust with cinnamon and sugar.
  • In small bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
  • In large bowl, mix eggs, bananas, grapefruit, sugar, oil and pecans. Add flour mixture and mix very well.
  • Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and sprinkle top with cinnamon and sugar.
  • Bake 15-30 minutes for mini loaves and 50 minutes for regular loaf.
Tips:
  • use any other fruit in place of grapefruit.
  • use whatever nuts you prefer instead of pecans.
  • if you really don't want to, you don't have to sprinkle the pan and top of loaves with cinnamon and sugar. 
  • use some sort of chocolate chips instead of nuts



With Grapefruit

With Mango
 With Orange

2 comments:

  1. So far, I've used grapefruit, pineapple, orange, mango, and apple. All were fantastic and I urge you to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I just approved your blog claim. Now your Urbanspoon profile picture is displayed on your blog page. You can upload a blog-specific photo if you prefer, and can change a few other blog settings there. Also, if you vote for a restaurant that you've reviewed on your blog, we now show your vote next to your post everywhere on our site.

    http://www.urbanspoon.com/br/9/9435/Atlanta/A-Lifelong-Romance-with-My-Whisk.html

    Best,
    Greg

    greg(at)urbanspoon(dot)com

    ReplyDelete